Monday, November 26

Simplifying myself

Some time ago I read a book called “How I became stupid”. It is a book about a young man who realizes to think is to suffer and frustrates himself on being smart (as he thinks this is the reason why nobody likes him). The ending is funny: after he tries various things to help him become dumber (drinking, getting a job as a broker, trying to commit suicide etc), he finds a girl who is as imaginatively astray as he is and off they ride into the night.

This weekend we were in Sibiu – I told you about this in my last post – and helped with building little houses for the Christmas fair. We also painted them – which took up most of Saturday and of Sunday. Imagine it was great. A bunch of people who do nothing but info gathering, data crunching and corporate emailing all day, all gathered in a place and painting little houses! It was by far the most relaxing weekend I have had in a long time, and I am looking forward to doing that again. Besides, it was fun, as the guys on my team were at their best in joking and telling stories.

Following this past weekend, I've decided that I must be employing much too serious a part of my head to think about completely useless things, so I have started an experiment. I want to see if thinking less will help me be better, calmer, and maybe wiser. The results until now are indeed encouraging – it kind of simplifies things and helps concentrate on the important ones.

I wish for this night-time to last for a life-time

The darkness around me - shores of a solar sea
Oh how I wish to go down with the sun
Sleeping
Weeping
With you
(Nightwish, Sleeping Sun)

No comments: