Monday, March 24

I am what I try to deny

There was an exercise I once did with some friends: we each danced our life's story on a randomly chosen melody. A solemn show for some, a comedy for the other. No dancing marvels performed, just some moulding in a foreign rhyhtm. The movements were flowing naturally, with some very brisk turnarounds at some points and at times difficult to understand. In each life there were things we could only imagine - some of us danced of lost loves, others of things we had experienced together. But not one of them danced of work. None of despair or of death. It was all the wonderful things in life that they imagined when moving to the sounds, the good they could do and the hope they held. And most of them were smiling while dancing.

This weekend I re-edited the exercise, while dancing to Gotan Project's La Viguela.

aquí me tumbo a cantar
al compás de la vigüela
que al hombre que lo desvela
una pena extraordinaria
como el ave solitaria
con el cantar se consuela

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And how did your life story look like? Was it solemn or comic?
And most of all, shouldn't we invent the tunes to which we dance our lives ourselves?

Still, my dear, one of the most beautiful ideas I have ever heard about.

Guess what I'm doing tonight...

the Sundancer said...

My life story? :) it was funny and full of love.
I love your idealism, but we can't always invent the tunes we are dancing to. Sometimes they are chosen by others, and then our wisdom consists in choosing the right dance - or moving to the next orchestra.
What are you doing tonight? :)

Anonymous said...

I love my idealism too, it keeps me going. Guess I will try on and on to impose my own tunes over the world. You know - live forever or die trying:)).

Tonight I'll dance to the tunes of my idealism. Thanx for keeping it alive with posts like this one.

the Sundancer said...

Well I'll stay pragmatic as ever - no need to die trying, just choose to fight the right battles.